Local links for you
www.ridingscentre.com The Ridings information and offers
www.wakefield.mumbler.co.uk Parenting support for Wakefield families
Come and visit us
24 Hour Helpline: 01924 851 901
31 All Saints Walk, The Ridings Centre, Wakefield, WF1 1US
The FAB Wakefield team are based in The Ridings Centre. To find us you need to enter the lift at the side of Holland and Barrett on the ground floor, press 1 and when you exit the lift turn to your left. We can be found through the grey door with the FAB sign on it. If you are parking in the Ridings car park then please park in the green car park and walk towards the exit barriers. The grey door is to the left of the barriers. We are happy to be a comfy space to breastfeed whilst you are out and about and if you need one to one support you can make an appointment to see a peer supporter by ringing our helpline on 01924 851901.
See you soon :)
Our Breastfeeding Peer Supporters are available to chat to at a number of groups across the district, you can pop in to any of the groups without an appointment. Meet other mums, make new friends, share your experiences, get breastfeeding support or just ask the breastfeeding question that is niggling away at you. To find times and venues for groups click here Breastfeeding Groups
Breastfeeding Friendly Scheme
We want to share the good news that its OK to breastfeed in public in Wakefield and add to Wakefield’s directory of Breastfeeding Friendly Venues. To see the full list please click here
If you see this sticker in a shop, cafe or other venue it means that they have already signed up and made a commitment to being breastfeeding friendly and they will welcome breastfeeding mums.
If you have a great welcome as a breastfeeding family in a venue that doesn’t have a sticker please nominate them via this link
What FAB offers
- Antenatal Support providing information about the benefits of breastfeeding We love to see expectant mums at our local breastfeeding groups where they can receive information and support with their decision to breastfeed. Our 24 hour helpline is also available to offer antenatal and postnatal support and information to mums over the telephone. We also offer small group antenatal sessions to discuss breastfeeding and answer any questions before baby arrives.
- One to One Home Visits FAB support breastfeeding mums in their local community by offering one-to-one support for all mums resident within Wakefield. Once discharged mums can expect contact via telephone within 48 hours to discuss their breastfeeding and offer a home visit if required. Mums can also expect weekly telephone contact up to six weeks and additional visits if necessary.
- 24 hour Helpline 01924 851 901 The helpline is available for all mums and is manned on a voluntary basis by experienced peer supporters. The line is open 7 days a week 365 days a year. We are here to help with any breastfeeding concerns big or small.
- FAB Facebook Group We have a closed group on facebook where new parents can chat and support each other through their breastfeeding journey. Our virtual peer supporter Annie Milk can offer support and answer questions and you will also find links to useful information. Search FAB breastfeeding support on Facebook
- Breastfeeding support groups Weekly support groups run in the community where you can join other mums and speak with a breastfeeding peer supporter. We have a good relationship with Children’s Centres and we often work alongside the midwives and health visitors to offer support at the same time and location. In return we can give information about local Children’s Centres so families can make use of their services such as; baby clinics, baby massage classes, and the many parent and toddler groups.
- Working for us Volunteering opportunities are available in all capacities to support Families and Babies. If you would like to support others in your community with their breastfeeding experiences, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator on our office number 01977 801359 (9-5pm). You will gain experience, knowledge and be offered accredited training, all of which which are stepping stones for when employment positions become available or when you choose to move on in life.
If you require breastfeeding support please call our 24hour breastfeeding helpline 01924 851901 to speak to a peer supporter for help over the telephone, find your nearest breastfeeding group or arrange an appointment at FAB or a home visit.